Alki's Puppy Package
Based on the litter size and breeding costs, our prices may fluctuate from litter to litter.
For our upcoming Ginnie x Jackson/Remington litter in May, we are selling our puppies at $2000, requiring a down payment of $300 to secure your place in the litter pick list. Breeder retains pick of the litter.
How Do We Land on a Price?
You might find some breeders selling goldendoodles at a cheaper price. This can be a great deal, but while you might luck out and get a great puppy, you also assume the risk that the parents might have unknown backgrounds or health issues. Be wary of backyard breeding or puppy mills.
This can end up costing you thousands of dollars in vet bills for preventable lifelong conditions and medication. You could also end up with a puppy with an unpredictable disposition, accruing more than you bargained for in training and behavioral costs.
Our puppies are priced based on the hard work and money we’ve put in to the breeding process.
A reputable breeder of any dog will do diligent research on the genetic issues and predispositions of that breed.
They will test their breeding stock for these genetic health issues, and breed only dogs who will not pass a debilitating condition to its offspring.
Because Goldendoodles are a mix of Golden Retrievers and Poodles, naturally we test for health conditions that can be found in both breeds:
- Hip Dysplasia
- Elbow Dysplasia
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy
- Heart Disease
- Von Willebrands Disease
Cost of Whelping
The costs of whelping a litter is also built into the puppy package. We provide the best comfort and care we can to the dogs in our life. For our litters, this includes vet visits during pregnancy, vet visits and home supplies related to birthing, and increased food costs to feed Momma and puppies, when they are weaned. We also see an increase in laundry and cleaning supplies because, let’s face it- puppies are MESSY! Here are some quantifiable costs related to a one-time breeding:
- Health testing per dam or sire- see above
- Outside stud costs- can include stud fees, semen collection costs and overnight shipping costs to our local vet
- Pregnancy-related vet visits for the dam, to include a breeding soundness exam, progesterone testing, insemination procedure, and pregnancy confirmation;
- Whelping Supplies: We generally need to replenish some of our whelping supplies for each litter.
- Items for Puppy Pen: We work hard to produce well-socialized puppies, going above and beyond what most other breeders we know do. This includes setting up a puppy pen and play yard with a variety of toys, objects, obstacles, scent items, sounds, textures, etc. Some items we can reuse but invariably a litter of puppies will destroy other items, and we are constantly adding to our puppy pen supplies as we learn from each litter what else we should include.
- Microchip and implantation costs
- Puppy wellness (shots, deworming, vet checkup)
- GANA Individual Registration
- Food- about $400-$500 increase for both dam and puppies
- Unpaid Time: Typically whelping and raising a litter involves some unpaid time off work, which can add up quickly. We’re busy teaching them manners, so they come to you willing to learn more!
- Utilities: We experience increased gas, electric, and water bills with a litter, to keep the puppies warm and clean.
- Various sundries: There are surely some other things I've forgotten!
Our Puppy Package includes:
- A warranty on your puppy for life inhibiting genetic defects until 2 years of age.
- Early Neurological Stimulation
- First shots, de-worming, and a Certificate of Health from our vet
- Paperwork (below) on your puppy
- Gear (listed below) for your puppy, including toys and crate
- Feeding supplies (below)
- Lifetime of puppy support from Alki Goldendoodles!
GANA Registration papers
Pedigree & photos of sire and dam
Microchip enrollment information
Training, housebreaking, sleeping, feeding, etc. tips
Recommendations for area vets, groomers, and training classes
New puppy collar
Home grooming items
Old toy which brings the scent of his mother and littermates home with him
Puppy crate for the first couple months
Puppy food dishes
Several days of current food to help in the transition to new home and food
Coupons or literature from food manufacturers
Feeding schedule for puppy including growth increase amounts
List of recommended treats